If you are serious about your Digital Marketing, then you know having a strong Social Media Strategy is essential to your branding and growth. The goal with Social Media is to keep new & current followers engaged with your content to drive interest and sales.
- 321 million new people joined social media in 2019, which brought the total from 3.48 billion to 3.8 billion social media users (an increase of 9%) in 2020
- 4.5 billion people now use the internet, an increase of 298 million new users (or 7%) year-on-year
- There are more than 5.19 billion mobile phone users, up 2.4% year-on-year (or 124 million new users)
However, with some so many Social Media options in the market today, with each Social Media Platform offering a different experience, targeting a specific audience, how effective is your social media strategy?
Choose only a few Social Media Platforms to start:
Creating content for each can be time consuming, so unless you have a full-time employee focused on managing your Social Media Efforts, its best to use only a few Social Media Platforms to find out which works best for you.
The most common are:
- Facebook, created in 2004, currently boasts around 1.5 billion active users. The platform connects people with friends, family, & acquaintances, but is heavily used by businesses to grow their branding and revenue streams. As a business owner, you can boost a Facebook posting, of either photos or content URLs, for a small fee to a targeted audience. This is typically the most popular choice.
- Instagram (IG) is a photo sharing application and has over 300 million users. The App allows users to upload photos, apply filters and share photos on other social networks like Facebook. The app limits users on posting Website URLs, except on profile page; however, you can pay to create a Marketing campaign
- Twitter is a real-time social network with 48.35 million monthly active users in the US. Twitter allows users share their thoughts in 140-character updates., as well as retweet the posts & engage in exchanges using @ mentions and hashtags. Website URLs can be used to promote traffic on the platform.
To learn about additional Social Media Platforms, click here.
Create a Social Media Strategy
Before you immediately start posting, take a step back to look at the bigger picture. Way too many marketers create ineffective social media strategies often turning away followers, instead of wining followers.
First determine the questions you need to answer to help start molding your social media strategy:
- What are your goals?
- What type of content will you be sharing?
- Creator and Approver of Content?
- Frequency of posts?
Know your Data:
Analyzing your results is key to determining the Return on Investment (ROI) for each Social Media Platforms, especially when you are investing in paid advertisments. This is often a manual process within the APP; however, there are platforms, such as Hootsuite, Likeable Local and YuktaMedia, that aggregate your data into one platform to allow you to analyze & optimize as needed.